Job aid development OVERVIEW
For anyone who wants to learn best practices in creating job aids and performance support.
Job aids are electronic or paper-based repositories of information that support performance by directing, guiding, or enlightening. They can be an effective way to supplement or even supplant time-consuming and expensive training programs. They are faster to design and deploy, easier to update, inspire confidence, ensure consistent performance and free working memory for problem solving. There are different types and formats of job aids for different types of tasks. This 1-day workshop will provide the knowledge and skill necessary to design, develop, and deploy a job aid successfully.
By the end of this workshop, students will be able to:
- Describe what a job aid is (and what it is not)
- List 9 advantages of job aids
- Recognize 5 situations in which job aids should not be used
- Identify 10 common job aid formats and select the proper format for specific performance problems
- Design and use two forms of decision tables
- Use “screen capture” software to develop effective software-oriented job aids
- Use a simple program like PowerPoint to create sophisticated job aids
- Confirm the need for a job aid during either a needs analysis or course development process
- Describe the 4 steps in analyzing a performance problem for the purpose of creating a job aid
- Choose the correct media (hard copy or on-line) for a job aid
- Explain the “4 A’s” of well designed job aids
- Use a 5-step process to evaluate a job aid for accuracy and effectiveness
- Determine when training should be included as a part of rolling out a job aid
- Develop an effective organizational implementation strategy for a new job aid
You will be asked to bring a job aid “need” with you to the workshop. By the end of the day, you will have designed a world class job aid.
This workshop can be:
- Customized to your organization’s specific needs and priorities
- Taught “in-company”, or you can attend an open enrollment (public) course with persons from other organizations. Contact us to find the date and location of the next running